re: shear flow

Mark,
Shear flow formula is valid for any member having a cross section that is symmetric about the y-axis, which I imagine your piers would be.

f= (V*Q)/I

Q= ybar*A

Q= first moment of the cross-sectional area between the top surface of the beam and the contact surfaces where the shear flow is being calculated.

Got this from pgs 284-85,

So depending on the loading of the cantilever, shear may be variable (uniform loading) or constant (point load at the end). I think I have that right. So with your piers I don't know if the forces resolve into a point load or if they are triangular load (increasing uniform load)...

My question would be is it worth it to vary the repair detail throughout the pier length or will it just be simpler to maintain a typical section for constructability purposes?

Regards,
Andrew

Andrew Kester, P.E.
Principal/Project Manager