Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Fuse type fasteners

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

I don’t know exactly what type of fastener you need, but there are bolts used for roadside sign structures that are designed to breakaway when the sign is hit by a car.  You could do a Google search for something like “breakaway sign support bolts”, and you’ll find several such systems.  Maybe one of these would suit your application.


-- Joel


Joel Adair   PE
Structural Engineer





From: dave brown [mailto:lavadave(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2008 10:40 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: Fuse type fasteners


Does anyone know of any fasteners calibrated to fail at a certain level? The application in question is a pressure relief wall that should be designed to fail like a fuse when a certain pressure is reached. Thanks for any tips.

David Brown, P.E.
Cooke Brown LLC

This e-mail transmission is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may contain information that is confidential, privileged, and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, disclosure, copying, distribution, or other use of any of the information contained in this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender by e-mail at the above address and delete it from your computer system; you should not copy the message or disclose its contents to anyone. The content of the message and or attachments may not reflect the view and opinions of the originating company or any party it is representing.