From: "Haan, Scott M POA" <Scott.M.Haan(--nospam--at)usace.army.mil>

Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 15:47:04
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: RE: Support for veneer over openings

I believe you need non-combustible lintels over openings regardless of
seismic design category per R703.7.3.  R703.7.2 would allow a veneer covering
to be supported on a wood foundation wall or platform floor.

The IRC makes veneer hard in SDC D for two story residences. The problem in
seismic design category D is on a two story house with an attached one story
garage is where they want to have veneer on the second floor wall over a
garage roof.   Also problematic is a covered porch where they want to have
veneer over a porch roof.  The way I have read the IRC is you need
noncombustible support in seismic design category D period.

IBC kicks you into ACI 530 Chapter 6 which has more restrictions on
supporting veneer on wood.