RE: When wind governs with No Seismic

Seismic demand in the Bahamas is not very high in general.  Some areas of the Bahamas have a seismic demand that are significant.  If a Seismic Design Category of A is indicated, the seismic design requirements are not very severe.  The IBC references ASCE 7 and if you are in SDC A, only section 11.7 is applicable.  It is not very rigorous and is a good idea even for wind loads.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

> Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 19:07:46 -0700
> From: tejas_goshalia(--nospam--at)yahoo.com
> Subject: When wind governs with No Seismic
> To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
>
> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
> From TejasIns <Tejas_Ins(--nospam--at)yahoo.com>
> To seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
> Subject When wind governs with No Seismic
>
> I am working on a big project where lateral (hurricane level) wind loads are more than 0.1W. The structure has many irregularities such as non-parallel systems, discontinuous lateral systems, more than 40% area openings in floor diaphragms, curved and barrel roofs, etc.
> The project is in Bahamas where local codes follow the Florida IBC and do NOT require/consider seismic loads.
>
> What are the basis for design of lateral load elements such disphragms, collectors, discontinuous columns, OMF and OCBF connections??? The UBC-IBC methodology is to provide the minimum seismic requirements even though wind loads govern over seismic. How do you interprate this when there is NO seismic ???

> *
> *
> * http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
> *
> * site at: http://www.seaint.org

Store, manage and share up to 5GB with Windows Live SkyDrive. Start uploading now