Sent: Monday, October 27, 2008 8:19 AM
Subject: Finite Element Analysis

Dear List,

My current project is a very very complicated shape and geometry structure, made of steel. We as consultant with connection design requires a very design justification on every connection detail that we're providing, hand calculation for connection is quite time consuming since I'm analyzing a plate which two or more members are connected at this plate.

Can you give me an idea or reference on how to model a finite element-plate and the member connection on it-and a good reference of step by step procedure on modeling it-how to input load and support on the model.

I tried to model a one case connection using sap2000, but I'm not sure wether it is correct or not, knowing I just starting to have knowledge in finite element analysis using sap2000.

Thank you in advance.

David Francis C. Caballero

Structural Engineer

License No. 0103970