Re: Jurisdictions That REQUIRE Engineer's Observations

"San Antoniorequires the EOR sign and seal a letter attesting the project is built in accordance with the plans and specifications before a C.O. is issued. This is noted as a permit requirement when the building permit is issued.

DavisG. Parsons II, PE RA FAEI
Engineering Manager"

When presented with similar requests we always add qualifying language that addresses the fact that we do not have complete knowledge regarding the construction and that we have performed our work in accordance with the normal standard of care.

If anybody signs such a letter without appropriate qualifying language you will find that you do not have E&O insurance coverage.

Unless they have formally adopted this requirement when they adopted the IBC then all they can legally require is the Structural Observation report required in Section 1709.

Mark Gilligan