Re: ACI 318-08 Section 14.8 Alternate Design of Slender Walls

1.) This presents another question.  Does the same un-conservative approach run over into masonry P-delta/ slender wall design?

2.) Because they want to sell you the 318-08 code, rather than have you get by with a 318-05 and a supplement.

>>> Andre Sidler <asidler(--nospam--at)hotmail.com> 10/28/2008 5:53 PM >>>
SEA Listers -

I sat in on a webinar on Tuesday morning and I was informed that the calculation of the P-delta and secondary moment in Section 14.8.4 of ACI 318-05 is unconcervative and that the brand-spankin' new ACI 318-08 has corrected this.  Is there anyone out in the SEA Listserve universe that would be kind enough to send me a PDF file of section 14.8 of the ACI 318-08?  I can't bring myself to purchase this edition just yet; I'd rather wait until IBC 2010 becomes the law of the land.

Second, why doesn't ACI issue a supplement to ACI 318-05 to correct this?  ASCE issued a supplement for ASCE 7-05 that made some modifications.  It seems that if this method is as unconservative as we were led to believe in the webinar then this should be taken care of immediately.

Cheers!

Andre J. Sidler, S.E., P.E.
Quantum Consulting Engineers
Seattle, WA