RE: Jurisdictions That REQUIRE Engineer's Observations

That is a tall order unless the special inspectors worked directly for the EOR.  I would at least ask for "substantial compliance" and want to approve the special inspectors and recieve all reports.  This would also get into nonstructural components in seismic areas and a lot of elements in nonseismic areas that are normally performance specified, like glazing and doors.

The statement required by San Antonio would cause me concern.  CASE publishes "Guide to Special Inspections and Quality Assurance" which defines the roles for the various entities including the Engineer of Record.

The City of LA produces a document for the EOR that more accurately describes his duties and responsibilities.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

> Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 23:06:20 -0700
> From: m_k_gilligan(--nospam--at)yahoo.com
> Subject: Re: Jurisdictions That REQUIRE Engineer's Observations
> To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
>
> "San Antoniorequires the EOR sign and seal a letter attesting the project is built in accordance with the plans and specifications before a C.O. is issued. This is noted as a permit requirement when the building permit is issued.
>
> DavisG. Parsons II, PE RA FAEI
> Engineering Manager"
>

> When presented with similar requests we always add qualifying language that addresses the fact that we do not have complete knowledge regarding the construction and that we have performed our work in accordance with the normal standard of care.
>
> If anybody signs such a letter without appropriate qualifying language you will find that you do not have E&O insurance coverage.
>
> Unless they have formally adopted this requirement when they adopted the IBC then all they can legally require is the Structural Observation report required in Section 1709.
>
> Mark Gilligan

> *
> *
> * http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
> *
> * site at: http://www.seaint.org

Want to read Hotmail messages in Outlook? The Wordsmiths show you how. Learn Now