RE: Jurisdictions That REQUIRE Engineer's Observations

Bill,

Unless San Antone has revised their rules, you will find this requirement on the Certificate of Occupancy requirements that came with the Building Permit. In the past, I have gotten a copy of this from the GC, sent it to the owner through the architect to inform them of the requirements and asking how they want this to be handled. The owner, if they haven’t done a project in SA before, needs to understand that they will not get a C.O. nor will the power be permanently connected (SA has its own electric company) without the stated letter. If the owner is providing all construction material inspection and has other inspectors on board, then all of their reports need to be sent directly to you. You need to schedule field visits for yourself at milestones you feel are important based on the design. This must be coordinated with the GC.

And as always, the letter needs to be short, starting with a phrase like “Based on all the technical information and test reports received along with my personal site visits, it is my professional opinion...” San Antonio does this as their city inspectors do not review any structural work as it is being performed like other cities here in Texas.

I first learned about this requirement years ago in a seminar about a building that was built without EOR review. The GC thought it was great when he called the city to inform them about placing concrete, etc., they said OK and no one from the city showed up. When it came time to get the C.O., the sealed letter request was made. The EOR couldn’t write one since he had no involvement with the construction. The last I heard, the building was never occupied as no one could come up with a way to do forensic testing to adequately determine how the building was constructed.

What I described above is what I have done with all the buildings I engineered in SA and all the projects that Wallace did there also.

Replied by

Davis G. Parsons II, PE RA FAEI

Engineering Manager

Irwin Steel