RE: Packing peanuts?

Title: Packing peanuts?

We used large Styrofoam sheets placed under a layer of fill on the approaches to the new Dumbarton Bridge - although we did this to lighten the dead weight of the fill on poor sub-surface soils.

Bob Garner, S.E.

From: Gordon Goodell [mailto:GordonGoodell(--nospam--at)harmonydesigninc.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 1:53 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Packing peanuts?

I’ve got a small commercial project that’s getting put on hold, just before the Wyoming winter sets in.  I’m sure I’m not the only one.  This one has footings & concrete walls, but no slab, backfill, or floor package, and the owner doesn’t want to (can’t?)do anything else, except the bare minimum to protect his investment from frost.  The outside backfill to frost depth is no problem, but those footings are exposed on the inside, too, as well as lots of interior footings, elevator pit, etc.  The footprint is about 4,400sf.  Filling it up with 500 cu. yds of dirt (to frost depth) and then scooping it out in the spring seems too painful.  Does anyone have good ideas for reasonably priced blankets or even lightweight structural fill?

thanks,

Gordon Goodell