RE: depth of footing above bottom reinforcement

So is this specification intended to be a cover requirement for the steel? What is its purpose? Does it matter if there is no earth above the footing as in monolithic construction? Could this be interpreted to prevent the use of structural slabs on grade used to support industrial racks; or monolithic footing & slab mat construction where the slab is reinforced? What of interior monolithic wall footings for light gauge steel partions as in slab construction for self storage facilities?

Thanks again. These are all hypothetical questions as this point. I'm just researching the history and application of this requirement.

Chris/David,

I would disagree and say it is a just a dimension/distance value of 6 inches or 12 inches and has nothing to due with "d" (i.e. distance from extreme fiber.....).  So if you had a pile cap with #8 bar each way for bottom reinforcement and 4 inches of cover then your overall depth (h) of the pile cap would need to be a minimum of 18 inches (4" clr + 2 -#8 bar + 12").

Thomas Hunt, S.E.

--
Christopher Banbury
Ark Engineering, Inc.