RE: Rammed earth construction

We are designing a rammed earth residence right now in California.

There is a book by Bruce King, "Building of Earth and Straw".  It has
good information in it.

I'm not sure what kind of building code is used in Rwanda, but there
currently isn't any code for rammed earth wall in CA.  The closest code
I found was the New Mexico building code, which has some design
requirement in it.  We are going to get the contractor to build a
mock-up, and take core samples from the mock-up for testing.  A cylinder
made just for testing may not be accurate because of the compaction
process.  Compacting a wall section then take a core sample is more
realistic.  According to the contractor, there is a particular soil,
Nun's Canyon Fine, that's been used around here, and proved to be good
in the past projects, when it's done right, a breaking compressive
strength as high as 2000 psi can be achieved.  A 300 psi allowable
compressive strength would be a good start for preliminary design.  I
don't think a geotechnical engineer is going to help much for the wall
design.

YI YANG, S.E.
<http://www.summit-sr.com/>

Do you really need to print this e-mail?