  From: Yi Yang [mailto:YI(--nospam--at)summit-sr.com]
  Sent: Friday, October 31, 2008 9:37 AM
  To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
  Subject: RE: Rammed earth construction

  We are designing a rammed earth residence right now in California.

  There is a book by Bruce King, "Building of Earth and Straw".  It has good
information in it.

  I'm not sure what kind of building code is used in Rwanda, but there
currently isn't any code for rammed earth wall in CA.  The closest code I
found was the New Mexico building code, which has some design requirement in
it.  We are going to get the contractor to build a mock-up, and take core
samples from the mock-up for testing.  A cylinder made just for testing may
not be accurate because of the compaction process.  Compacting a wall
section then take a core sample is more realistic.  According to the
contractor, there is a particular soil, Nun's Canyon Fine, that's been used
around here, and proved to be good in the past projects, when it's done
right, a breaking compressive strength as high as 2000 psi can be achieved.
A 300 psi allowable compressive strength would be a good start for
preliminary design.  I don't think a geotechnical engineer is going to help
much for the wall design.

  YI YANG, S.E.

  Do you really need to print this e-mail?