edge barriers in parking structures

The October issue of Structure Magazine has an article on designing edge barriers in parking structures. The original subject is for a residential condition, but some folks might be interested.

From: Jim Getaz [mailto:jgetaz(--nospam--at)shockeyprecast.com]
Sent: Monday, November 03, 2008 4:47 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Residential garage floor live load

            Ken,

                        Steve has a good point. In addition to the floor live load (40 psf + 3k point as has been noted), IBC 1607.7 also says a 6k (service) horizontal load in any direction assumed to act 1’-6” above the driving surface and to act on an area of 1 sq. ft. 406.2.4 gives a little more information on where this is required. And while it does not apply to a residence, and it may not be the structural engineer’s responsibility, there is a separation of use requirement in 509.7.

                        If it were my house, I’d want some assurance that a gas spill did not get beyond the garage floor – i.e., a monolithic curb on three sides and slope to the vehicle door.

            Jim Getaz

            Winchester, Virginia