From: Thor Tandy [mailto:vicpeng(--nospam--at)telus.net]
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2008 9:39 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Rammed earth construction

I do RE in BC, Canada.  If I can help ...

1)  Get lab tests done on the available material - material is
site-specific and needs care in selection.

2)  Generate several particle-size gradings of the material and develop
"mixes" that when tested give the "best" behaviour.

3)  Decide what, if any, admixtures you might want to add.  Eg: cement,
flyash, other pozzolans etc that may be beneficial to the final working
material.

4)  If you decide to go reinforced RE and cement stabilized RE then make
sure that you are comfortable using the masonry block design standards.
Most engineers use masonry or concrete.  While masonry approximates what
is essentially a cement-stabilized aggregate, I'm not convinced yet.

5)  For further information on material choice, SIREWall Inc here on
Saltspring Island, BC has over 15 years of aggregate sampling
experience, design of RE structures, and has a fund of knowledge on the
behaviours of RE material in Canada, China and the US.  I am one of
their structural consultants so we familiar with their work.

6)  I don't know Rwandan climates but while RE does perform well in wet
and cold climes, it is prudent to design with reasonably large overhangs
of the roof.  Verandahs are an excellent way to protect.

7)  If you go with cement-stabilized RE then curing is as important as
in conc. construction.

8)  There is a lot of info on the internet.  Peter Walker of Bath
University, UK has done much research on un-reinforced RE and Kepa
Morgan of Auckland University, NZ and done a lot of work with
fibre-reinforced RE.  If you go with unreinforced and no-additive RE
then I recommend those 2 Profs will be of great help.

Hope this helps you get started.  If you need any further assistance
then please contact me privately.

UNISOL Engineering Ltd
Unit 7 - 625 Hillside Ave
Victoria, BC, V8T 1Z1