RE: Horizontal Irregularities

>From reading sec. 12.3.3.4, it seems clear to me that it is only the connection that needs to be increased 25%, not the actual diaphragm shear forces.

My 2 cents,

Larry Hauer S.E.

Subject: Horizontal Irregularities
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 10:26:55 -0800
From: doug.mayer(--nospam--at)taylorteter.com
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

Section 12.3.3.4 of the ASCE 7-05 states:

“For structures assigned to Seismic Design Categories D, E, or F and having a horizontal structural irregularity…the design forces determined from Section 12.8.1 shall be increased 25 percent for connections of diaphragms to vertical elements and to collectors…”

Does this requirement apply to diaphragm shear values taken from the code tables?  As I read it, it does not, but I would appreciate confirmation.

TIA,

Doug Mayer, SE

When your life is on the go—take your life with you. Try Windows Mobile® today