From: William Haynes [mailto:gtg740p(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 9:02 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Load combination 7. .6D+W+H

The combination is for stability too. You use the combination 0.6D+W+H
and that is it. You don't have to subsequently use a 1.5 safety factor
or any additional dead load factors for stability after you have applied
the 0.6D+W+H load combination (it's not cumulative).

Footing weights and retaining wall dead loads must also be multiplied by
0.6 when using this combination, it's not just for concrete columns.
This combination applies to uplift and overturning. Dividing
1/0.6=1.67 so the traditional 1.5 safety factor is more than accounted
for already.

Will

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 11:35 AM, Joseph Eribarne
<jeribarnese(--nospam--at)bak.rr.com> wrote:
> Sirs:
>

> We have some confusion on the  application of ASCE7 ASD load
> combination 7, .6D+W+H.
>

> ASCE 7 Section 2.1 indicates that the load combinations shall be used
> for "a particular construction material throughout the structure."  I
> understand that the .6D allows for the sometimes overestimating of the

> dead load and that concrete columns, for example, should be
> proportioned for this load case as the reduced dead load sometimes
leads to the governing condition.
> Are these load combinations for the design of the materials only or
> are they also to be used for the overall stability of the structure
itself.

> Two quick examples:
>
> 1)      We do many light framed steel structures and also foundation
design
> for prefabricated metal buildings.  If, for example, the resulting
> .6D+W load combination results in a 6000# uplift, how much concrete
> footing weight (along with slab and soil overburden) must be placed.
> Is it 6000# or must it be 10000#.  The latter will result in
> inordinately large footing on a very small building using a factor of
> .6D on a material weight that is known quite accurately with very
little chance of over estimating its weight.