Joe  Venuti
Johnson & Nielsen Associates
Palm Springs, CA

In a message dated 11/4/2008 9:37:31 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
YI(--nospam--at)summit-sr.com writes:

Erik,

I actually have that book.  I have a condition where  I need to have ledgers
at the mid-height of the wall.  In that book, the  author quoted some testing
values for a few different type of anchors.   I'm not sure if that's any
consensus on those values (with a big safety factor  I suppose).

YI  YANG, S.E.

____________________________________
 From: erik_g(--nospam--at)cox.net [mailto:erik_g(--nospam--at)cox.net]
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 9:20 AM
To:  seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Rammed earth  construction

Yi, I have the book written by Bruce  King, "Buildings of Earth and Straw"
and shear transfer into the wall from the  roof diaphram can be accomplished in
a few ways. One way is to provide a  reinforced concrete bond beam at the top
& centered in the rammed  earth wall, almost like a key. Then your ledger or
sill plate is anchored into  this conc beam and your joists are attached to the
sill or ledger.
I'm sure if a person is creative enough  there are probably a lot of other
ways to accomplish shear  transfer.

Erik Gibbs