From: sgordin(--nospam--at)sgeconsulting.com
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Seismic Design of Nitrogen Storage Tank
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 15:15:03 -0800

Rich,

Look in the ASCE  Guidelines for Seismic Evaluation and Design of Petrochemical Facilities, page 4.A-4: T=7.78/10^6*(H/D)^2*(12*W*D/T)^(1/2).  For your tank, safely assume 1/2" shell thickness.

This formula is recommended for tanks on legs, but actually is for a cylindrical column.  I discovered that legs significantly affect the tank rigidity, and may require special consideration during the T analysis.

Yours appears to be a 6000-gallon LIN tank of some earlier construction.  Calculated more or less accurately, the period of such tank is about 0.16 sec.

It should be noted that after all research I've done, the formulas of ASCE7 13-15 appear to adequately reflect the force - consistently with AWWA D100 and the above ASCE book.  At the end of the day, it all comes down to a good old 0.3*W (ASD, CA away from faults), so it may not be worth your time to go really deep into that.

Regarding sloshing - back in 2001, I had a long talk on the subject with Bob Wozniak who apparently is one of (if not the) main structural gurus behind the AWWA D-100.  He informed me that for smaller D/H, sloshing becomes a force-reducing factor and can be safely ignored (as is routinely done).  This can be also derived from the AWWA formulas.

V. Steve Gordin, SE
Irvine CA