Re: More Plywood Diaphragm's

We don't specifically address it in the 2005 SDPWS Commentary. However,
it looks like we tried to clarify it in the 2008 SDPWS
http://www.awc.org/Standards/SDPWS.html section 4.2.7.1.1 which states
that both blocked and unblocked diaphragms shall be constructed as
follows:

"The width of the nailed face of framing members and blocking shall be
2" nominal or greater at adjoining panel edges except that a 3" nominal
or greater width at adjoining panel edges and staggered nailing at all
panel edges are required where:
a. Nail spacing of 2-1/2" on center or less at adjoining panel edges is
specified, or
b. 10d common nails having penetration in to framing members and
blocking of more than 1-1/2" are specified at 3" on center or less at
adjoining panel edges."

So, my interpretation is if you have 2" nominal framing or blocking for
intermediate members for field nailing, you would use the lower
tabulated value that corresponds to the Minimum Nominal Framing Width of
2". I'd be interested to know if you all have seen or specify 2x
blocking or intermediate framing with 3x framing at adjoining panel
edges? Seems like that could be potentially confusing for the
contractor.

Not sure of the background on that, but Tom Skaggs at APA could probably
shed some light or weigh-in if I'm wrong.

HTH

Buddy

John "Buddy" Showalter, P.E.
Director, Technical Media
AF&PA/American Wood Council
1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036
P: 202-463-2769
F: 202-463-2791
http://www.awc.org

The American Wood Council (AWC) is the wood products division of the
American Forest & Paper Association (AF&PA). AWC develops
internationally recognized standards for wood design and construction.
Its efforts with building codes and standards, engineering and research,
and technology transfer ensure proper application for engineered and
traditional wood products.

The guidance provided herein is not a formal interpretation of any AF&PA
standard.  Interpretations of AF&PA standards are only available through
a formal process outlined in AF&PA's standards development procedures.