From: "Harold Sprague" <spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: 11/6/08 10:34 PM
Subject: RE: Twisting of rebar

It is a point to ponder, but I doubt that twisting rebar has ever been definitively studied.  All we can do is look for cracking that would indicate that we have gone too far.  The cracking would be evidence of the rebar being non-usable although there would still be a lot of tensile capacity.  I wish I could define "a lot".  I know that "a lot" is more than some.

I am glad that the Government will now regulate my health.  Why... I feal healthier allready. Regards, Harold Sprague"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  - Ben Franklin

From: sgordin@sgeconsulting.comTo: seaint@seaint.orgSubject: Re: Twisting of rebarDate: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 11:43:33 -0800

Harold,

I can see how a long enough rebar can be twisted 360 degrees.  The thing is - will is stay that way, or can the needed plastic (permanent) torsional deformation to 90 degrees be achieved without rendering the rebar non-usable?

By the way, coming from so many grateful engineers, those beers may be really bad for your health.  Hopefully, as it goes now, the government will force you to stay healthy...

V. Steve Gordin, SEIrvine CA