Sent: Monday, November 10, 2008 14:31
Subject: Retaining Wall Design Practice (Seismic)

Ralph,

The inclusion of seismic is actually driving the design on our subterranean projects now.  My question, "where is the justification for this"; or as Frank Lew used to say, where are the bodies?

Is anyone aware of a bunch of basement wall failures or retaining wall failures due to seismic?  How about any failures?  I would really like to be able to point to something to explain the added cost to the client besides, "it's the code now".

Paul Feather PE, SE