From: Phil Doody
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2008 15:04
Subject: RE: Soldier Beam Retaining Wall Design Practice

Playing the devil?s advocate, chapter 1806A.1 of the CBC states in the second paragraph, ?Retaining walls higher than 12 feet, as measured from the top of the foundation, shall be designed to resist the additional earth pressure caused by seismic ground shaking?.  Since 1806A was adopted by DSA and OSHPD, which are generally more restrictive, would it be reasonable to argue that in general walls less than 12 feet really do not need to be designed for seismic forces?

I personally feel that this provision makes good sense, design for a seismic surcharge only if the wall is higher than 12 feet.  Of course the project geotechnical engineer would have to be convinced.

What do you think?

Phil Doody

Mesiti-Miller Engineering, Inc.

224 Walnut  Avenue

Santa Cruz, CA 95060-3836

Phone 831.426.3186 x 118

Fax 831.426.6607

P  Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail