Re: Retaining Wall Design Practice (Seismic)

Paul, it sounds like you're suggesting some sort of "cost-benefit analysis" for code provisions.  That would be an interesting can of worms!  I picture the code-adoption scenario as more of a political process, with lots of professorial input for sure, but certainly not a purely rational process.

I am reminded of a long-ago situation in Philadelphia, wherein a politically powerful local masonry contractor -- who just happened to be the father of Grace Kelly (she of "High Noon" fame) -- managed to keep the requirement for masonry backup of curtain walls in the code long after most other jurisdictions had eliminated it.  So much for rational code-writing, at least in that era.

Ralph

In a message dated 11/10/08 2:33:14 PM, PFeather(--nospam--at)se-solutions.net writes:
Ralph,

The inclusion of seismic is actually driving the design on our subterranean projects now.  My question, "where is the justification for this"; or as Frank Lew used to say, where are the bodies?

Is anyone aware of a bunch of basement wall failures or retaining wall failures due to seismic?  How about any failures?  I would really like to be able to point to something to explain the added cost to the client besides, "it's the code now".

Paul Feather PE, SE
pfeather(--nospam--at)SE-Solutions.net
www.SE-Solutions.net

From: Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2008 2:18 PM
To: dfisher(--nospam--at)fpse.com; seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Soldier Beam Retaining Wall Design Practice

Well, I'm the last person to be considered an authority on anything related to soil design values, but I would like to point out that now that we're required to consider earthquake forces in our design of retaining walls (at least in my area of California), I think in terms of 1/3 increase in earth pressure is more or less offset by 1/3 increase in allowable timber stresses.  Where does that leave us if we've already taken a 40% reduction in loads??

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA