Re: Retaining Wall Design Practice (Seismic)

A long time ago, sometime in the 1960s I believe, I saw a photo of a concrete culvert about eight feet wide & tall that had its sides failed inward -- badly crushed -- due to earthquake forces.  Not sure where it was, but I believe it was in the US (perhaps Anchorage?).  That image has stuck in my mind and persuades me that earthquakes *do* exert forces on retaining structures (although being symmetrical, the culvert could not move to relieve the forces).

Ralph