RE: Soldier Beam Retaining Wall Design Practice

Phil-

I don't do a lot but here is my experience on what I have done.

Generally I have used method #1 based on specific lagging design
pressures provided by the project soils engineer.  I believe that most
soils engineers I have worked with have incorporated method #2 into
these values.  The values I have gotten vary per project and soils
engineer as well as distributed load profile; sometimes truncated
uniform load, sometimes arch shaped distributed load and also triangular
distributions have been provided.  When the design pressures have
required a lagging greater than DF-L No. 2 4x with an 8' pile spacing I
have questioned it and on occasion the loading gets reduced or
"clarified" to allow the 4x to calc out.

I have never seen a lagging failure and on site the lagging often looks
like it is not being loaded very much.  Common sizes are 3x and 4x DF-L
No. 2 or HF No. 1 but probably because I do more OSHPD shoring than
commercial 4x DF-L No. 2 is more common for projects I have done lately.

I can't remember for sure but I think there was an OSHPD document or
maybe it was LADBS several years back that allowed a CD factor of 1.25,
regardless that was for the past code.  I have used a CD=1.15 (it is
technically for snow but the duration of 2 months seems more appropriate
than 7 days for roof live load with a CD of 1.25) Sometimes this gets
challenged by the reviewer and a CD of 1.00 is reverted to.

Donny Harris, SE
Los Angeles, CA