Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2008 09:48
Subject: Re: STRESS AND FORCE

On Nov 13, 2008, at 11:30 AM, SGE Structural wrote:

> Struggling through the 2007 AASHTO BDS, I fail to understand one
> very basic thing.  There was a good thing invented once, called
> stress, why the new codes use forces instead?
It's the result of emphasis on limit load analysis. Lots of
discussion on this over the years, some of it mine, since limit load
analysis doesn't have much applicability for the types of equipment I
do. Mechanical systems are much more concerned with performance under
service loading.

chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com   | this distance" (last words of Gen.
1864)
http://www.skypoint.com/members/chrisw/

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org