Re: STRESS AND FORCE

Take some time to read the Commentaries. You might be surised by how much rationality there is.

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.
Via iPhone 3G

On Nov 13, 2008, at 1:05 PM, "SGE Structural" <sgordin(--nospam--at)sgeconsulting.com> wrote:

What bothers me a lot is that structural engineering more and more turns into something entirely based on your own spreadsheets (at best) or somebody's software (at worst).  There is simply no way to design by hand anymore, and the codes are written this way.  It seems we are losing touch with real structures.

One does not have to watch stresses anymore - they are simply not in the code.  Who cares, just make the damn formula work.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2008 09:48
Subject: Re: STRESS AND FORCE

On Nov 13, 2008, at 11:30 AM, SGE Structural wrote:

> Struggling through the 2007 AASHTO BDS, I fail to understand one
> very basic thing.  There was a good thing invented once, called
> stress, why the new codes use forces instead?
It's the result of emphasis on limit load analysis. Lots of
discussion on this over the years, some of it mine, since limit load
analysis doesn't have much applicability for the types of equipment I
do. Mechanical systems are much more concerned with performance under
service loading.

chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com   | this distance" (last words of Gen.
1864)
http://www.skypoint.com/members/chrisw/

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org