Fwd: Compression check

I am designing a 3-story wood-frame building and checking the uplift and compression at shearwall ends at the bottom level.  Per CBC 2007 I am applying the Alternate (ASD) load combination of -2/3DL+(1.3)W for uplift and DL+L+(1.3)W for compression.  My well respected colleague told me that I don't have to use live load to check compression and this is an industrial standard.  He is more experience than I am and I respect his opinion, but I really wonder if this is an industrial standard.!  Any comment or suggestion.
Thanks.
Michael