Re: STRESS AND FORCE

Ouch.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2008 11:05
Subject: Re: STRESS AND FORCE

On Nov 14, 2008, at 12:46 PM, Acharya, Suresh wrote:

> Question arises which stress you want to use a indicator? Principal
> stresses, Von Mises stress, or stresses based on several other
> hypothesis?

Not to beat this topic to death, but that question was answered in
sophomore strength of materials--the chapter on failure theories. von
Mises or maximum shear for ductile materials, maximum principle
stress for materials like cast iron or for crack propagation. Every
criterion depending on plastic flow has to be related to yield stress.

chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com   | this distance" (last words of Gen.
1864)
http://www.skypoint.com/members/chrisw/

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org