Wood SW compression check.

I am designing a 3-story wood-framed building and checking the uplift and compression at shear wall ends.  I am using CBC 2007/IBC 2006 Alternate (ASD) Load Combinations with -2/3DL+ (1.3)W for uplift and DL+L+(1.3)W for compression.  My colleague told me that I don't have to use live load to check compression and this is an industrial standard.  He is more experience than I am and I respect his opinion, but I really wonder if this is an industrial standard which I have never heard of.  Any comments or suggestions?
Thanks.
Michael