RE: Water Bag Load Testing

Please do not forget shoring for safety especially if you suspect a shear failure.  The shoring is also a good place to mount gauges.  The smaller the gap the smaller any impact.  Bending is not generally as much of a potential catastrophic failure, but calculate anticipated deflections.  If the deflections go off the chart, something is wrong and the test should be terminated.

Regards, Harold Sprague

> Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 20:30:42 -0600
> From: stancaldwell(--nospam--at)gmail.com
> To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
> Subject: Re: Water Bag Load Testing
>
> Matthew:
>
> I have unfortunately found it necessary to load test a number of
> concrete structures and have used bulk sand, barrels of water, and
> water pools. For your situation, the water pools would likely be the
> most practical. Use plastic sheeting and plywood forms to temporarily
> hold the water over one area. Then reuse the water and materials in
> the next area. This method is relatively simple and straightforward,
> and therefore, relatively inexpensive. However, all load tests are
> fairly expensive because of the required instrumentation and
> monitoring.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.
> Richardson, Texas

> *
> *
> * http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
> *
> * site at: http://www.seaint.org

Get 5 GB of storage with Windows Live Hotmail. Sign up today.