RE: Water Bag Load Testing

Safety tip:
Wear a brightly colored hard hat which says "Dig Here!!" on the top.

Regards, Harold Sprague

Subject: RE: Water Bag Load Testing
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 09:13:22 -0800
From: rgarner(--nospam--at)moffattnichol.com
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

And don't stand underneath when test loading.

I test loaded a railroad flat car bridge over a creek using a fully loaded gravel truck.  I was under the bridge with a level to read the defllection (and to prove I believed in my design so much that  I was unafraid to be under it when loading - a level of confidence that every structural engineer must have or at least convince others that he has).  With much creaking and groaning of the bridge, the gravel truck approached the critical loading position.  I measured the deflection, which of course kept increasing up to that final truck position.  The truck driver halted at the pre-arranged location                  and let off his air brakes with that big SCREECH-WHOOSH.  After I regained my composure, I stepped out from under the bridge and kept my backside away from everbody so they couldn't see I messed my pants.

Bob Garner, S.E.