From: Mark D. Baker [mailto:shake4bake(--nospam--at)verizon.net]
Sent: Sunday, November 16, 2008 9:34 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: 1.2 stress increase

Per ASCE 7-05, when using equations with overstrength factor (ASD), section 12.4.3.3 allows a 1.2 stress increase. I can’t find anywhere in the code where this increase is disallowed for steel, including AISC 341.

For some reason it is floating around in my brain that the 1.2 incr is not allowed for steel….am I imagining this?

Regards,

Mark D. Baker

Baker Engineering