Re: Limit on pour height?

Bill,

There are no specific code prescribed height limits other than you must prevent segregation which varies depending on the thickness and type of your pour (i.e. open large pile cap versus a thin wall with lots of rebar).  There is an article that addresses this issue in Concrete International June 2001 and a more detailed response from the ACI Knowledge Center FAQ to a question submitted on 2-16-2006.

Thomas Hunt

"Bill Allen" <t.w.allen(--nospam--at)cox.net>
11/17/2008 06:32 PM
Please respond to seaint
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
Limit on pour height?

I've got a residential project where there is going to be a new basement. The basement walls are cast in place concrete. The owner is asking me if there is a four foot height limit per pour. I know of a four foot height limit per "lift" in masonry construction, but this is new to me. Of course, I don't do a lot of CIP walls.

CBC 2007.

TIA,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E.
ALLEN DESIGNS