From: Oz Oz
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2008 23:22
Subject: Collision Load for Highway Bridges

Hi,

I am working abroad at a heavy-metro project.
We design a RC highway overpass bridge on at-grade section (a 30m single span over the railway).
Also we are designing a two-span steel railway bridge where it passes over highway.
I am using AASHTO for bridge design principally.

I would like to know the collision loads that I shall take into account for highway and railway bridge.
For Highway bridge, since freight trains will be running under, I will take into account freight train collision load for RC Bridge Abutment (due to derailment, etc).
For Railway Bridge, I need to take into account truck collision load for RC abutment. Also if any too much loaded truck passes, it may hit to the steel deck of the bridge.

I could not find above-mentioned freight train and heavy truck (i.e. HS30 or HS44) collision loads that I shall take into account. I saw a design guideline of a DOT which recommends a figure. I will appreciate if anyone can advise me from where I can get a reference for collision loads for trucks and freight trains and can use it on my design.

Thanks in advance

Oz