RE: Collision Load for Highway Bridges

One of my past jobs was consulting to insurance companies involved in bridge repairs from oversize loads hitting bridge superstructures.  We had up to a job a month.  Surprising how often this happens.

Hanging chains from an approach structure makes so much sense - why don't we do that.  I see it in parking garages all the time.

Bob Garner, S.E.

From: Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 7:51 AM
To: sscholl2(--nospam--at)juno.com; seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Collision Load for Highway Bridges

Stan, I really don't know what your point is.  Are you suggesting that that was the right thing to (not) do?  I recall a photo in ENR a few years ago showing a truck under a collapsed concrete overpass, having sheared off its supporting columns, which had no protection whatsoever.  Or the German high speed train in a similar situation, which resulted in many deaths.

I did a number of things 40 years ago that I would not want to repeat today.  :)

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA