re: doubler plates

Joe,

Though I have not used it yet, AISC has a program on their website called “Clean Column” and it is a free Excel program for determining what size column you will need without stiffeners or doubler plates.  Per a Modern Steel Con. Article from Oct 07, the average floor column with 4 stiffeners equals about 1900lb of steel in equivalent labor costs. I am sure this depends on the price of the steel also, but steel had dropped considerably recently so more steel would be even more economic than adding stiffeners.

I have no idea of your situation, forces and stresses- just a suggestion.

Regards,

Andrew Kester, PE

Orlando, FL