RE: Flush Moment end plate connections

Bill,

I am in harmony with your rhetoric! But, Conrad's point is valid as well

I use purchased software not for things I don't know or understand, but I
use them to speed the process of do what it is I do know. A good software
will be transparent. I typically use Descon and they show step by step each
calculation so every aspect can be scrutinized.

The flush plate analysis is a tedious time consuming process that is ripe
for a spreadsheet. I don't need to learn how to calculate them I just need
to do it faster and since I have need of one once every year or two, it is
a toss up as to whether the time to write my own spread sheet (40hrs as
Gerald said) or calc it by hand (say 2-4hrs)

In particular the flush variety typically used in metal building systems is
what I am looking for. Alex's corner is a great resource but his is the
extended top and bottom symmetrical type.

Thanks everyone for the input,

Rand

             "Bill Allen"
             <t.w.allen(--nospam--at)cox.ne
             t>                                                         To
                                       <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
             11/16/2008 12:41                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: Flush Moment end plate
             Please respond to         connections
             <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.or
                    g>

Rand -

Just curious, but if you bought a program, how would you know if it's
accurate, without errors and contains the same engineering assumptions you
would make? I guess you could compare the results of the output with a
design you did in-house, but what if the answers are different? How would
you determine if the differences are in engineering philosophy,
interpretation of the code, a different level of conservatism than yours or
just a flat out numerical error?

I'm just askin'.

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E.
ALLEN DESIGNS