Re: Expansion Joint in Building

Hi Edmondo,

The local building code is, of course, your primary information source.
In our practice here, you don't need to slice the foundation at the expansion joint (note however that this doesn't hold for deformation joints).
In the national codes that I've looked through (CIS, Germany, Czechia), the requirements for expansion joints vary greatly (40m to >100m) depending on what type of structure you're designing, environment conditions etc. These are to be defined by calculation.

Regards,
Alex