RE: Concrete Bearing Pressure at Base Plates

The bearing pressure at the base plate to concrete interface is subject to the "maximum force" to offer a degree of assurance that the first mode of failure will be in bending in the steel frame.  That said, the compression stresses at the base plate interface are highly localized and if they are confined, should not drive the size of the pier.  There are many ways to control the stresses at the base plate interface including the use of a heavy setting template that can help distribute the compressive stresses into the concrete.  Also recall that if you are using grout, the grout is a much higher strength than the concrete.

Regards, Harold Sprague

From: jrgrill(--nospam--at)cableone.net
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Concrete Bearing Pressure at Base Plates
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 13:30:02 -0700

If you have a steel ordinary moment frame, that is designed for the maximum force that can be delivered, and the column base is fixed, is the bearing pressure at the base plate subject to the “maximum force….” ?  I’m getting some very large pier sizes using the “maximum force….”, and I’m wondering if it is required.  I can’t find any reference to this in the steel manual, the steel seismic manual or the ACI code.

Thanks,

Joe

Joseph R. Grill, PE

Verde Valley Engineering, PLLC

Access your email online and on the go with Windows Live Hotmail. Sign up today.