Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Fluor

"Gordon Goodell" <GordonGoodell(--nospam--at)harmonydesigninc.com>
11/24/2008 02:24 PM
Please respond to seaint
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
RE: seismic forces

10% has been abandoned; now it’s 2/3 of 2%, 50 yrs.  That’s a 2500 yr return!  So in California, where the frequency of a design event is more like a few hundred years, known faults that have enough historical data use 1 ½ x the characteristic event.  There’s a good, brief  discussion of the rationale behind this change in the commentary to the Ground Motion chapter of the 2003 NEHRP.

regards,
Gordon Goodell

From: David Topete [mailto:d.topete73(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent:
Monday, November 24, 2008 2:39 PM
To:
seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Re: seismic forces

Aren't the accelerations based on the 10% at 50 year event?  So, that means New Madrid and Summerville have the potential for very large accelerations for the 475-year event.  The fact that the Hayward fault (which I live on) is more active is because you have the Pacific plate rubbing constantly on the North American plate, or vice versa.  If I'm off, I'm sure I'll be corrected.  That's my just my view from basement...