Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 14:24
Subject: RE: seismic forces

10% has been abandoned; now it?s 2/3 of 2%, 50 yrs.  That?s a 2500 yr return!  So in California, where the frequency of a design event is more like a few hundred years, known faults that have enough historical data use 1 ½ x the characteristic event.  There?s a good, brief  discussion of the rationale behind this change in the commentary to the Ground Motion chapter of the 2003 NEHRP.

regards,

Gordon Goodell