RE: Wind load on sloped roof with parapet

Jeff,
The conditions to design the MWFRS according to the simplified procedure are listed in ASCE 7-05, Section 6.4.1.1 OR 6.4.1.2.  I am not sure which of the 8 provisions of Section 6.4.1.1 are in question.

You can not use the parapets to shield roofing elements.  You must assume the parapets are not there for the design of the roof.  You then design the parapet under 6.5.11.5.

Regards, Harold Sprague

> From: jeffsmith7(--nospam--at)comcast.net
> To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
> Subject: Wind load on sloped roof with parapet
> Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 13:21:22 -0800
>
> Say you have a small existing victorian wood building, 30' x 22', 12'
> ceiling with a 22.5 degree roof pitch, 5' ridge height, gable ends, but 2
> orthoganal walls have a 4' parapet (1 foot lower than the ridge.) The front
> gable end and one side have parapets. The front parapet perpendicular to the
> ridge is part of the victorian look and the side is essentially a dutch
> gutter against the property line.
>
> Can this be analyzed using the simplified procedure? For the MWFRS, how do
> you apply the B and D zones to a pitched roof that has a tall wall parapet?
> Seismic will probably govern in both directions for the MWFRS.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jeff

> *
> *
> * http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
> *
> * site at: http://www.seaint.org

Proud to be a PC? Show the world. Download the “I’m a PC” Messenger themepack now. Download now.