Re: Cost Effective Mechanical Lap Splice?

Bill,

In general, my experience is that the cheaper and simpler the mechanical coupler is the larger it is.  The Bar-Lock type rebar couplers, where you just put the two bars in a pipe and twist off the nuts, can be rather big and heavy for the larger size rebar.  I use these often when concrete cover is not an issue. Remember that ACI and the ICC ES Reports require clear cover to the mechanical coupler not just your rebar.  The Lenton taper thread couplers are very small but require a special machine to create the threads.  The HRC headed couplers are also small but the trade off is that you need a pneumatic machine to create the enlarged head.

If you go to the ICC ES website and search on rebar couplers you should get several hits.  I strongly suggest that whatever coupler you choose it have a "current" ICC ES report as there are a lot of knock offs and copies out there.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Fluor

"Bill Allen" <t.w.allen(--nospam--at)cox.net>
12/03/2008 11:26 AM
Please respond to seaint
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
Cost Effective Mechanical Lap Splice?

I'm working on a project where the contractor has installed too short of a dowel coming out of a footing for a retaining wall. I've considered excess reinforcement, but the required lap is still more than what I have.

What is the most cost effective lap splice?

Thanks,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E.
ALLEN DESIGNS
Consulting Structural Engineers