RE: Cost Effective Mechanical Lap Splice?

And of course, ACI has special requirements for mechanical splices.  How will you specify the quality control for the mechanical splices?  On Caltrans jobs, we had to send samples to the lab for tension testing.

Bob Garner, S.E.

From: Harold Sprague [mailto:spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 3:14 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Cost Effective Mechanical Lap Splice?

I like the Erico's, but you have to be careful with the Dayton's.  The last I knew, if you required a #5, you had to splice with a #6 because the Dayton threading reduced the cross sectional area of the bar.  The Lenton's use a tapered thread that would develop the full strength of the bar.

Correct me if this is not accurate today.  It has been a while since I used a Dayton splice.

Regards, Harold Sprague