RE: Cost Effective Mechanical Lap Splice?

I don't believe the chemical bond between the steel and the concrete is nearly as important as the mechanical interaction. As I understand it, the bar deformations put the concrete into compression and shear. Consequently the lap splice length is highly dependent on the concrete compressive strength for deformed bars.

10                               Message:0010                           10
From: "Conrad Harrison" <sch.tectonic(--nospam--at)bigpond.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: RE: Cost Effective Mechanical Lap Splice?

Thanks Dave,

I was leaning more towards what mechanism, causes such relationship? My
assumption being the bond the cement can provide is constant, and the
primary contributor to compressive strength of the concrete is the
aggregate. Therefore what is happening at the interface between the steel
and concrete to provide increased bond?

My further assumption being that if have an answer to that question, then
Bill has answer to where he can cut off the use of the higher strength
concrete and move back to normal strength: barring some code clause which
may otherwise prevent doing so.

And the practicality of mixing two grades of concrete in the new part of the
construction. How large is the retaining wall? How many pours? I assume
changing grades with the wet mix, is not a good idea, when the pour is
vertical, and the two can mix?

Not with holding, I don't understand reinforced concrete.

Regards
Conrad Harrison
B.Tech (mfg & mech), MIIE, gradTIEAust
Adelaide