From: Michael Liew [mailto:michaelliew4(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, December 08, 2008 3:32 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: ASCE wind on parapets

Joe,

I use 1.5 for the windward parapet and 1.0 for the leeward parapet.  I don't combine them.

Michael Liew

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 1:35 PM, Joe Goldbronn <jgoldbronn(--nospam--at)barrish.com> wrote:

How are the wind forces on parapets to be applied to the MWFRS (section 6.5.12.2.4)?  Are you to apply both the +1.5*q windward and the -1.0*q leeward pressures onto the same parapet?  This would in essence create a 2.5*q total force on each parapet of a structure.  This seems to be a larger force than I would expect for the parapets which makes me wonder if I am interpreting the code correctly.

Joe Goldbronn, PE