Re: Alaska Arctic Engineering Courses

Paul,

I am not sure about on-line course (it would be great if they exist) but if you work for a large company where multiple engineers are getting their Alaska licence or you can team up with a couple of other local companies, the University of Alaska many years ago would do a very condensed onsite (i.e. at your company or local venue) Arctic Engineering Course which I believe was called "Cold Regions Engineering Short Course".

Also, if you look very close at the Alaska PE regulations (again several years ago) they would accept the submittal of a self authored arctic related technical paper (i.e. pick a topic, do some good library research, plagiarized several good sources, put in a fancy binder, and send it up with your application).  Something worth looking into if it is still an option.

By the way, the short course I attended was excellent and if you can I would strongly recommend it.  One of the things I learned was that too much attic insulation can actually cause the dew point to occur inside the building which can cause all sort of water damage (apparently a big issue in the big box type buildings).

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Fluor

"Paul Blomberg" <paul.blomberg(--nospam--at)gmail.com>
12/09/2008 08:33 AM
Please respond to seaint
seaint <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
Alaska Arctic Engineering Courses

I'm looking into getting a PE in Alaska (by comity) and was wondering if others in this group know of other alternatives for completing the arctic engineering requirement.  I've found the three universities (U of Washington, U of Alaska - Anchorage & Fairbanks) that offer courses but am interested in knowing if anyone knows if any courses are available to be taken remotely.

This is going to be an expensive license if I need to take a week off to attend a University course at a remote location.  Any alternatives?

Paul.
Phoenix, AZ