From: Gerard Madden, SE [mailto:gmse4603(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2008 12:27 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Old Steel Sections

I have a few structural columns on a circa 1940 structure in Hawaii. The drawings indicate columns as "18H70"

>From the AISC Design Guide 15 and other resources, I can't find any information on H shapes deeper than 16". Also, the lighted 16H is 170 plf... so I have a case here where the H shape is deeper than anything I have info on and much lighter than the nearest tabulated shape of similar attributes.

If anyone out there has a resource that may have info on this shape and could kindly forward that info to me, I'd appreciate it.

Also, if you think perhaps another shape would have been used and H is just something that distinguished columns from beams (aka standard practice), your opinion would also be appreciated. I see there are several non H shapes that would match the depth and weight per foot.

gm